Immigrants fr Xanga : Ode to Mak (Maimunah bt Othman)

In my life, there's 3 'mother'. One is my very own Mama.. who gave birth to me 30 years ago. They one and only mother that worked so hard for my upbringing as well as my brothers'. Another person is 'Mummy'.. my aunty who is the closest sister to my mother. Been calling her Mummy since the day I could remember.. since my mother was gifted with all sons and Mummy with all daughters.. she treat us siblings like her own son and my mother will treat her daughter like her own.

Then there's Mak.. or Arwah Mak.. an aunty who I missed a lot. A kampung aunt, who brought all her kids till all of them are successful people. An aunt who treated me like her own son.. teach me about life..praise me for my good deeds and scold me when I do the wrong things..
A superwoman in her own class..she not only take care of all her 8-9 childrens.. but taking care of my late grandfather as well even when he's already more than 90 years old at that time.
I still remember, it was her who took care of me when I fall from the top of a rambutan tree and sprain my ankle badly.. It was her who teach me independant by just giving me a list of things to buy at the market..(although till now, I still fail to remember fish name) ..went to the market alone.. buy all the things she wanted and walked back home with all the groceries..I was 7 years old at that time.

It was with her help, that my class project, a science scrapbook when I was at standrad 5 got an A. She brings me to our dusun durian.. clean up the place.. and pick each leave sample we got there and name them one by one. She tell me all about the leaves..what is it good for and how it affected the whole dusun..

Mak passed away while doing her Hajj. She's one of the victim of the Mina Tunnel incident in 1986. I cried when my mom woke me up to tell the news. It's like I'm not able to replay her for what she did. Not being able to show her how I'm doing now.

May Allah bless you Mak..

Comments