Road Less Travelled

I love travelling. Not that I have a lot of money to travel but I love to travel. From travelling the modern way of using travel agent to travel by my own creativity and my own means. I've done it.

I believe the most exciting thing in travelling anywhere is when you go to the road less travelled. Places within reach that you never expect to go in the first place. Things you will never experience unless you let your mind free and give it a try.



One of such example is my trishaw tour. Everytime I saw trishaws (beca, basikal roda tiga or whatever you like to call them) around the area, it always intrigued me to get a ride. It's not the cheap thrill of riding the trishaw. It's not 'Seniman Bujang Lapuk' experience that got me excited (remember : first class pun sama, second class pun sama, saya penat mengayuh..)but, the stories by the trishaw peddlers about the town they had always lived in. I'm always facinated by their stories.


Road Less Travelled as I put it is in fact a journey with them along the streets never be seen with any bus ride. A journey experiencing the town first hand by a true local guide. The passion of the people in certain things you never knew. Best of all, understanding them more clearly on how they view to certain matters of life.

I've taken 2 rides in Malacca. Just cruising around the town and visit places that's not on any tourist brochure and a ride in Penang, where I could see places that never I thought would still exist in the 90's. Both rides are peddled by an old man, experienced enough to tell the stories of their place and the history of these places in their own way.

I wish I could do that again. All rides are done in the 90's. One thing I forgot to do is to keep a documentation of these rides. It would be great to share with all of you.

So here's my wish. I'll be keeping this 'Road Less Travelled' idea in mind (yes, shithead!!. you can steal my idea but you can;t steal my passion) and I'll be working to get this project on as soon as possible. I will start back in Malacca, I'll be crusing back in Penang and another trip in Singapore (wow.. I exactly named all 3 States of the straits). From there onwards, I will identify any other places with trishaw and seek my way to go there and document about it as well. All questions are ready, all angles to scoop on are set, just looking for a way to fund my personal project here.. Anybody interested?.. Interested to join me maybe?

I hope I could get this done. A piece of our shared culture will at least documented in a certain way.

Comments