Of what was everything?

I realised after reading the previous entry, all my favourite cover version songs have one thing in common. All songs are performed at MTV unplugged. Those of you who knows me, would realise that I'm an acoustic freak. I would be all ears to listen to any acoustic songs. May it be classical, country or even flamenco..



Those days where Unplugged concept was introduced by MTV, it took the world by storm. To me, MTV did live to their name as Music Television at that point by having a lot of original programmes dedicated solely to the objective of good music. (MTV at the present time, enough of those dumb & vain shows for stoners already..) Oh wait.. MTV Unplugged is back according to their official website.. WOohooo...

Anyway, the days where Unplugged was introduced, was also the time of the grunge and alternatives music. (ntv7, I begged you to get those old unplugged shows on the station? please.. hahahha)

Of course, the moment we mention grunge and alternatives, Nirvana and Kurt Cobain will comes to mind. But, there's this other Seattle band that won the hearts of many. In fact, I think in terms of being influencial, I do feel Pearl Jam is bigger than Nirvana. (Don't believe me, ask our local band Disagree... hahahha..)

Seriously, those fans who are into Pearl Jam, would not appreciate the music, they'll also understand the lyrics, the minds and the philosophy (if there is any..) of the band.

I admit, I appreciate Pearl Jam first before I got to know Nirvana... this is somewhere around the year 1991. (woo.. grunge is an old music now..)

So, this is one of the song from their first album 'Ten' (my favorite song on that album..) that introduce me to the grunge revolution... performed on MTV Unplugged. I used to think can any album title be any shorter than a 3-letter word. And the same band answer it by having their second album with a shorter title ..'Vs'.

This song is call 'Black'. You will understand the story behind the title if you listen to the lyrics carefully.

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
I know you'll be a star,
In somebody else's sky,
But why?
Why?
Why can't it be mine?


by the time the song reach that part.. it's just heartbreaking..

END
p.s I just saw a fan video of this song made by the characters from The Sims game. Cool..

Comments