Pecahkan teka teki malam..

OK, maybe I don't have a life. Call me crazy if you have to but I actually watched an Indonesian movie titled 'GIE' on YouTube. Seriously, I've watched the entire movie which was divided into 15 parts altogether.

I got to know about this movie through a friend somewhere in 2005. It's a movie based on a true story about a man name Soe Hok Gie, who lived in the early era of Soeharto. (No, I'm not going to tell everything about him here. Go search yourself..)



Soe Hok Gie was a writer and a lecturer, with interest in mountain climbing, motion film, arts and literiture. Despite of all his interests, his writings are mostly thought provoking ideas and hard critics on political issues during his time.

While people generally portray him as a political activist, what I understand from the movie, Soe Hok Gie is more of a social activist than he is political. His actions and ideas, although at some point it seems to go against the government, was never about power struggle or political ideology, but derived from the passion to see the society living in their own country being taken care of. To me it's more of a social conscience than a political one.

True, based on his writings and some of the movements that he involved with, he seems like a hard-ass political activist, but if see deeply from where he stands, politics is not his interest.

In short, if you understand carefully, you'll see him as an intellectual critic, but does not mean he's an anti-government. (If you still can't comprehend this, then maybe your IQ level is slightly below 3..just kidding..)

This can be a never ending explanation, I don't really like to have that 'p' word in any of my entry. With that word around, people can easily be blinded and more than often keep missing the points.

So I'll just end this entry as it is. If you can find the movie, I would suggest you to watch it. If you need to know more about the guy, I'm not the person you should ask. I'm just an admirer to a person who live by his principles and passionately walk the talk..

Soe Hok Gie died through inhaling poisonous gas while hiking up Mount Semeru, which is a volcano, at the age of 27. (joining many great man who die at the age of 27)

Here's a video from one of the soundtrack of the movie. I've put up this video before somewhere in 2005, and I'll put it up again.

Akan aku telusuri
Jalan yang setapak ini
Semoga kutemukan jawaban..


Enjoy the weekend.

END
p.s This entry is not in any way hinting about the government. Those who think otherwise... well, I pity for that shallow minds they have...

Comments