What's mine is yours to make your own

What makes any new band, a good band? Better still, what makes any new band a great band?



I've been asked this question many times by many upcoming talents. I've also asked the same question to many established producers before.

A great band are bands who can play the music tight, as a group. They have good songs on their album and they can perform well. Most importantly, they have their own identity which, they did not copy from any other band. (With that, a band who have a song '8 days a week' on their album in any other language is till considered having NO IDENTITY)

Generally, that's the criteria of a great band. Until, I found a new one for the list.

OK, 2 nights ago, while driving on my way somewhere around Bandar Tun Razak, I heard a song on the radio. Being very ignorant about the latest news on the music scene, I somehow end up singing along to this song that I don't know the title, the artiste or even where have I heard this song before. I definitely have no idea about this song.. yet, I got the lyrics right. To my thought, either this is a really good song that hooked to your soul or my psychic power just got better. (I prefer to think the later..)

As, the song finished, the announcer (Yes, they are just announcers.. not DJ. They don't really know music) mentioned the song was by this band called The Fray.

OK, so I know this band. But from another song. Not this one. Even so, I remember writing about the same incidents about the other single before.

This band now have 2 songs that successfully grab my attention without me even bother to know about them. That's interesting.

So, this is the song that somehow win over me last 2 nights. Tonight, it suddenly appeared in my head again and I just can't let it go. Damn.

Oh well, it's a good song. I might as well enjoy it right?

I'm declaring The Fray as the best new band the US had for now. All other band sounds so typical. (at least this one does not trying hard to sound like Eddie Vedder singing metal songs..)

Now, a great band is a band that can win your heart without trying hard to convince you. Even when you're not bother to know about them.

There now, steady love, so few come and don't go
Will you won't you, be the one I'll always know
When I'm losing my control, the city spins around
You're the only one who knows, you slow it down


Enjoy the video. This is 'Look After You'

END
p.s The song is pretty much ironic to appear that night..

Comments